Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums  

Go Back   Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums > General Topics > Lounge

Lounge General Community Chit-chat, Jokes etc

Old 01-30-2007, 2:58 PM   #1
Roadtech

Roadtech's System Info

Stay away from Insignia TV's

Rea went to Best Buy and got my 3 girls some early Christmas presents in mid November.
Insingnia 30" HDTV's
$449.00 each.
Sounds like a great deal right! Nope!!!

First one the sound went out. Tech replaced a board. That took 3 weeks to get the part in and repair.

Second one the remote stop working. No problem try one of the other remotes.
Nope, Tech had to replace side panel board. Where the sound & channel and remote pick up is. 4 weeks to get the part and repair.

Third one started getting lines in the picture. Like the fine turning was bad.
Tech came out the 28th of last month. I hadn't heard anything. So I called them. I was told that the turner card was back ordered from the factory. With a ship date of 3-22.07.

So I ask. Do you really expect me to wait over 2 months for you to repair and 3 month old TV. I was told sorry, that's the best we can do.
So I told the Customer Rep. That I wanted to close my account with them.
Also I told her to take a good look at the last 3 years history. I've spent and payed off over $36,000.00 at their stores. It won't happen again. I won't even buy a CD there...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 3:03 PM   #2
Bob.C
Xtreme Admin

Bob.C's System Info

That bites, Kev! They should be replacing each unit, like for like!

Bob
Old 01-30-2007, 4:01 PM   #3
Mntsnow
Xtreme Owner & Admin

Mntsnow's System Info

Wow Thats to bad they were even selling such poor quality
Old 01-30-2007, 5:53 PM   #4
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

I own one and its fine. Insignia is a Toshiba company. Blame them.
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Motto: Why stick to default when it is yours?
ThRoNkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 7:00 PM   #5
Roadtech

Roadtech's System Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoNkA View Post
I own one and its fine. Insignia is a Toshiba company. Blame them.
I blame Best Buy!
For not standing behind their products!
Old 01-30-2007, 7:01 PM   #6
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

Kev, remember I work at bestbuy. We do stand behind them. Just ask for an MOD. Calmly explain the situation to them. Did you purchase a PSP for the TVs?
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Old 01-30-2007, 9:39 PM   #7
MDS
Platinum Member

MDS's System Info

Your not the only one that has bad luck with insignia products we got 2 DVD players for Christmas for the kids and one is already dead after maybe 10 or so DVD videos played on it. The other is still going so far. The closest Bestbuy is an hour and a half away so we just trashed it and picked a JVC up at sears locally for the same price the junk insignia was.
MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:21 PM   #8
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

I know I can't do much for you guys out of the state. There are some Insignia's that are great. I have a 25 inch TV. Love it.

If you guys have problems, always ask me a question about it. I usually have all the info on the returns and ways around the techs. Under SOP for the TV's (I am not sure if its changed), its a process we call DEVO units. We just exchange and send them back to the place of manufacturer and they junk it and do what they do.

I have seen it with TVs (CRTS mind you), portable DVD players, speakers and laptops (yeah, there is an Insignia laptop at 299.99 thats basic, running windows xp home)
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Old 01-31-2007, 8:34 AM   #9
aqr8

We have purchased many products from them over the years in all categories. Sure, we've had difficulties with some of the products but have always been able to resolve the situations easily with Best Buy. I don't discuss problems over the phone, I go talk to the Customer Service folks or go directly to the store manager (but I have a store nearby). If you calmly approach them with the facts they have always been more than accomodating. Son's Xbox took a dump - they exchanged it with a new one (had extended wty plan). During the process a person asked him if he'd been playing a certain game...which he had. Returned the game (which they never take back opened games) and received store credit...taked to CS Rep who then discussed with mgr who approved my request for store credit.

I'd think that if you discussed your situation with the store manager, they would replace the TVs with new ones.
aqr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 5:21 PM   #10
Roadtech

Roadtech's System Info

Well I got some good news today.
A customer Rep. call me today about the problems I'm having.
He agreed to replace the TV's with Philips 32" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV's.
They will be here Friday...
Old 01-31-2007, 7:47 PM   #11
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

Yea Kev.. I emailed my corp head guy the night you complained. I guess that helped
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Old 01-31-2007, 8:22 PM   #12
Roadtech

Roadtech's System Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoNkA View Post
Yea Kev.. I emailed my corp head guy the night you complained. I guess that helped
I don't know Andy, A lot of calls had been made over the last 2 days.
I won't go into details. But a law suit was brewing!
But thanks anyways...
Old 02-01-2007, 9:09 AM   #13
aqr8

Glad to see that it all worked out for you.

Larry
aqr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 2:58 PM   #14
davidw
Xtreme-ly tired

davidw's System Info

Looks like I missed a bad deal. I almost bought an HDTV and one of the choices was Insignia (at Best Buy no less). This is right before we decided to go with the projector. Those Philips are nice - We use that brand for DVD players - the only bad thing is that they only last a couple years before going out.
“We’re seeing the reality of a lot of the North Pole starting to evaporate, and we could get to a tipping point. Because if it evaporates to a certain point - they have lanes now where ships can go that couldn’t ever sail through before. And if it gets to a point where it evaporates too much, there’s a lot of tundra that’s being held down by that ice cap..”
~ Congressman Henry Waxman
davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 7:53 PM   #15
dvdcoma

Well, my Insigna died this evening. I purchased it on Nov 12. I have 27 inch LCD. I went to power it on, and nothing happened, except for the flashing led insignia display. Called Insignia Tech support and spoke with their outsourced tech support who was of no help. So, they referred me to Best Buy in home service. Spoke with a nice guy there who is going to have a tech come out to the home. They are supposed to call tomorrow to set up a time to come out.

I am pretty sure nothing will get fixed. The TV does have a 1 year warranty at least.

I did however decide to call the Best Buy I purchased it at to see if they would have some compassion, which they didn't since I was past the 30 day return.
Old 02-22-2007, 6:25 PM   #16
dvdcoma

Just to update in case anyone is interested. No call from BB today so I called them. I explained nicely that I was to receive a call as promised by the gentleman I spoke with last night. I was told by a woman today that I was gioven the wrong information and that the time it takes to locate someone to come out to my home could take 2-3 business days. I was told that by Monday I should hear something. However, she did see that they did not find anyone in my area that could come out. So, basically it is just a waiting game.
Old 02-23-2007, 5:30 PM   #17
dvdcoma

Good news! Got a call from Best Buy just a few minutes ago and was told that since the could not find a tech in my area, they would begin the process for exchange. I was told I could hear from them as early as Monday so I can go in and make an exchange.

Wooooohooooooooooooo!

The good thing is, if this happens again within a year, I will kinow they will not have anyone to fix it and free exchange again!

Old 03-26-2007, 7:33 PM   #18
aridlc

Angry Insignia stinks

I'm not the only one disgusted with Insignia TV'S. I bought a 30" hdtv and have had it a little over a year. Yesturday it decided to shut off on it's own and now all it does is tick like it's ready to self destruct. Called Insignia and they put me in touch with Best Buy who said they would be glad to send out a tech if I wanted to pay. I have never owned a TV that has died in a little over a year and since Best Buy isn't willing to back there own products then I guess I will not be purchasing anything else from them either.
Old 03-26-2007, 8:16 PM   #19
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

how long is the warranty for? if it hasn't expired yet, then insignia should be covering it...
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

Insignia is a Best Buy private brand.
Alot of people are complaining about it, the brand, not working up to expectations. However, if its over a year then they do not have to do anything, as far as they are concerned. They make over 300% profit on those televisions. Other brands are around 50 to 55% markup.

So yeah go figure.
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 PM   #21
macguy

macguy's System Info

Hmm. $300 laptop? Sound cheesy. What's it got? Let me guess. Celeron processor, 256 MB RAM, a 30 GB HD and a Combo drive?
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #22
insigniabuyer

Question

Thronka, i got a question for ya. I bought a 14 inch CRT TV from best buy in late August. Recently the TV has been emmitting a low sounding hum, and it is especially noticeable when the volume is turned down low or when wearing headphones. The sound makes using headphones unbearable. The TV has also had problems being turned on. Some days after being used for a few hours it just shuts off and won't turn on again for like 30 minutes. A few weeks ago the remote control just completely stopped working. I know that the remote is faulty because i used a digital camera to see if it was sending an IR signal and it wasn't. My question is, what are my options. Am I way too far past my purchase date for best buy to do anything about it. I know that i should have bought the extended coverage plan, but i didn't expect to have so many problems like this.
Old 04-25-2007, 7:45 PM   #23
gab708

Unhappy insignia died after 17 months

I have a 32" flat screen that i got in november 05. bought it with my now-ex husband and have no receipt and out of warranty. not even sure exactly where we bought it. Last night, go to turn it on, nothing but a red light flashing in the right hand corner where the blue light usually comes on.

should i just trash it and get a new one (ug!) or try to find a tech? any help is appreciated. This is the first time i've had a tv just die on me in such a short period of time.
Old 05-01-2007, 5:19 AM   #24
razzell2

Nonsense

you buy ANY television, name brand or off brand, and a percentage of you are gonna get a lemon.
ive got a 36" wide screen HD Insignia tv, ive had if for a couple of years, and i love it.
it works great.
the timer wakes me up in the morning, the hd quality rocks, and i DID NOT have to pay $3000 for a name brand tv.

now, i am having trouble with the direct tv hd receiver, that limits what my television can do. that is not the tv's fault, thats this shoddy hd recievers fault.

so, did i get lucky? i think not. i think the few of you that got a bad set, were unlucky.

thats my story and im stickin to it!

thanks
russell
Old 05-01-2007, 2:53 PM   #25
Roswell_NX

Well, i don't think you are familiar with the Wal*Mart effect then. Insignia is a brand designed to undercut others in terms of price, but to do that they have to compromise quality. To tell the truth, Sony is that way too. Great design, but in the end the engineers have no control over how shoddy are the materials that go into the final product. Insignia may have a good product, but it only takes a single faulty chip, diode or capacitor to break the circuit and cause the TV to malfunction. And if say they buy a shipment of diodes that are cheap and are 17% "lemons". But that would only give you a 5% chance of the TV failing because all other components are good. But if each type of components has the same lemon rate, odds are you are gonna get a 3% "lemon" TV, and your neighbor will get a 35% lemon, all out of the same shipment, if we assume that faulty components are randomly mixed with half-decent ones at the time of assembly, or that two bad batches of completely different components overlap.

Roswell
Old 05-08-2007, 9:30 AM   #26
gwennabeme

We purchased a 27" Insignia from Best Buy in October 2006. Yesterday the sound went out, we tried other stations, no sound. Turned it off and back on, and now nothing but a black screen that says, "Please Wait", then turns itself off. Best Buy said they have a copy of our receipt and will send it out to the manufacturer to be worked on, and that will take 2-3 weeks to get our TV back. ThRoNkA, is that our only option?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #27
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

Best Buy owns the insignia brand and on some models they have to send it out others they just replace on the spot. Talk to the manager and explain the situation. They might not budge but at least you know what the brand is.

More than likely, it will go to Dallas/Flowermound, TX Service center, Santa Anna, CA service or Illinois service center.
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 PM   #28
gwennabeme

Thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 6:30 AM   #29
razzell2

reply to roswell

all i can say is that i am not having any of the issues that these other poor souls are having with their insigina's.
ive had mine for over two years, it automatically turns itself on at 4am, and runs all day and all night untill 11:30, when the timer, that i set, shuts it off at my bed time.

i understand your "walmart effect", i really do.

but i still argue that the people posting their issues with insignia here are the smaller percentage of people that have had issues, as opposed to the larger percentage that are happy with their insignia's.

i will say that roadtech, and his post of buy 3 insignia's and having all 3 of them go bad at the same time, makes my argument less effective...( i mean, man, that is some serious bad luck, or his insignia's came off an entire line of lemons).....

but still, i say that you dont always and inevitably have to expect to get a problematic item, just because its is a much less expensive product.

i also say that in many many cases, you are paying more, merely because of the brand name.
and that a lesser known name brands can have access to equally effective electronic "innards", and sell us the same product with the same quality components, and we pay less because were buying an "insignia", and not a "panasonic", or an equally high end name brand.

even the high end name brands make off brands that cater to folks with smaller bank accounts.
mitsubishi makes the magenta, for example.
other big time name brands make offshoots of their products, give it a different name brand, and charge less.

many people who have the bucks to burn buy only the big name brand stuff. they assume because its $2000 more, its a better product.
that same company using the same parts, offers a different name brand for less, and the make money selling that product as well.

for every phillips, samsung, and panasonic....
there is a vizio, a polaroid, and an insignia.

for every complaint about the inignia, someone, somewhere, is unhappy with their SHARP that just went out on them.
thats what i believe. i could be wrong...but thats what i believe.

thanks roswell, for the spirited debate.
russell
Old 07-03-2007, 4:10 PM   #30
MPDano

I gotta agree too that I will never buy Insignia again. I also have 2 30" HDTV's which are after warranty. I tried every avenue of approach, but no luck. I've even tried to get a hold of a Service Manual myself but can't get one. I have a 12 year old Magnavox and it's still working perfectly. My Sony 50" HDTV is still going strong at 2 years. What does that tell you.