Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums  

Go Back   Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums > Technical Topics > Hardware & Peripherals Support

Hardware & Peripherals Support Discussions related to other hardware not listed in forum catagories

Old 04-06-2012, 1:56 PM   #1
madfish

madfish's System Info

cool Powering a GTX 260

I have one I got from shyguy a bit a go. Over at bestbuy they have a corsair 700 watt gaming psu for $114.99 USD. is this unit any good?
I know the GTX 260 don't need that much omph, but I still like to have some extra just in case,(at least 700 watts) that way if I have to say "Scotty! more power!" I got it covered.

Thanks

And they don't like you...

"The monsters make me hide/perhaps I'll eat myself alive"
Chiasm, Isolated.
madfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 4:26 PM   #2
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

its more power than you need.... WAY more power.

the GTX 260 only pulls 192W.

You'd only need a Good 400-500W and you'd still have power to spare.

Like I said in the PM's, it ran perfectly fine with a 400W Antec Neo Eco, Celeron Dual Core E3200, 2GB DDR2 800Mhz, one Hard drive, one DVD Drive.

Even using an Online PSU calculator, a 500W PSU is all you'd need, with power to spare...

Maybe 550W tops, 700W is just purely wasted money unless you plan on running multiple GPU's, OCing the snot out of the rig, or loading it down with a TON of drives, and cooling equipment.

On the low end: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+...&skuId=4136144

This model, the CX430 has a 30A +12v Rail, unlike the 430W Builder series that replaced it, which only has a 28A rail.

bit more oomph: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+...&skuId=4136153

unfortunately the CX series are all sold by 3rd parties with BB being the middle man, so you need to order online.

But the Builder series are sold from BB, as long as its a 500W or more you should be good to go.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+...&skuId=9298002

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+...&skuId=3424201

both of those are about the same with the BP550 being a modular PSU.

Otherwise this would be about as much as I would spend, or go for:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+...&skuId=2193241

apparently BB sells this one directly unlike the CX 500 and 430W models.

its still less than 3/4's the price of the 700-750W model your looking at, and has MORE than enough power for your needs.

Otherwise either of those Antec 500/550W units have about 444W on the +12V Rails, and should be more than enough as well.
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 4:29 PM   #3
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

Take a look at this to see what you need to be running to use anywhere near 700-750W...

And this is my newer systems general specs (And I'm only running a single GTX 560 Ti right now, so the power consumption is a good 170W less or so)

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
madfish

madfish's System Info

thanks sean, you know I get so confused about all this. I just want to make sure I have enough power for it. I still need to get two dvd burners and I like to have a terybyte second Hdd for storge and to back up the machine too.

And they don't like you...

"The monsters make me hide/perhaps I'll eat myself alive"
Chiasm, Isolated.
madfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Q.Roger

Good write-up, I'm normal visitor of www.xtremepccentral.com , maintain up the nice operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a long time. regards
Q.Roger is offline   Reply With Quote