Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums  

Go Back   Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums > Technical Topics > Applications & Operating Systems

Applications & Operating Systems Problems with your Operating System? Got an application that's crashing? Find your answers here.

Old 03-26-2012, 1:04 AM   #1
Roadkill

XP Pro OS Disk Question

What is the difference between an "XP Professional 64 Bit - Full Home & Student Edition" and an "XP Professional 64 Bit - Retail Edition" / "XP Professional 64 Bit - OEM Edition"?

I'm familiar with the last two, but not at all familiar with the "Home and Student" version. I'm looking for a 64 bit OS to install on my Tyan S2875 - 2 Processor 4 core mobo w/ 8 gigs ram, and don't want to get something that won't suit my needs.
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 9:43 AM   #2
madfish

madfish's System Info

No clue roadie, I got lucky one afternoon this past summer. on the way home from debs I passed a box of stuff that that a landlord has set outside of by the curb in front their empty apt. I walk by there all the time and I knew the college studets were moving soon anyhow. What caught my eye as I passed was the MS plastic cd holder, the kind you get from MSDN or Technet with a disk (s) that can go into a two or three ring binder. I saw the name Vista student/teacher edition 64 bit on the sticker with the product key code. Yes, it contained the disk.
Nope it's not for sale

And they don't like you...

"The monsters make me hide/perhaps I'll eat myself alive"
Chiasm, Isolated.
madfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

There should only be 3 versions - Academic, Retail and OEM. I suspect it is Academic.
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Motto: Why stick to default when it is yours?
ThRoNkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Roadkill

Yeah, but whats the difference between the Academic and the others? This is what I'm referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Wi...item46020d4bab
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 1:09 PM   #5
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

As far as I know, there is no difference in the OS itself, other than how the things are registered/Activated, might be some differences in the serial key.

With the Academic versions, you have to register with your Student ID and the school has to be listed as an accepted school on some database they have.

Though that's practically almost every college, university, and what not in the country, along with I suspect some of the various trade schools and what not like Brown, ITT and others.

if you don't have a Student ID and the pertinent Info to register it with, it won't register/activate from what I understand.

Years ago I had an edition of Office that was Student and Teachers edition, still lets me install it today, but that was back in 2002/2003 or so, and the way it registers and activates is different than back then.

Though since this is XP, it might be similar to Office from back then, unless it changed somewhere along the way as well.
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 2:35 PM   #6
goatieau

goatieau's System Info

You got me beat Roadie - never come across a student/Academic version here in Australia - not an OS anyway. XP or otherwise - only Office. Office Home and Student needs a student ID to buy it here - probably as the schools aren't on the list.
Old 03-28-2012, 9:12 AM   #7
ThRoNkA

ThRoNkA's System Info

Thats the academic edition.
RedSn0w 0.9b6b

Motto: Why stick to default when it is yours?
ThRoNkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 8:39 AM   #8
SoopaStar

I know this is an old thread but you may want to stay away from teh XP 64bit editions. The drive support is not so great on it.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Q.Roger

Hello, it really interesting, thanks www.xtremepccentral.com
Q.Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
SoopaStar

Wow...lots of spammy posts lately!
Old 10-29-2012, 2:17 PM   #11
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

yep, some server changes, was moved to new hardware, and Snowman had to reenable some settings to allow new users to join, and I think there was some tweaking that needed to be done, to control the spam, at least its not AS bad as it was a couple weeks ago, 3 or 4 pages of new posts were all spammers, nearly a dozen or more individual spammers to delete.
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote