Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums  

Go Back   Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums > General Topics > Lounge

Lounge General Community Chit-chat, Jokes etc

Old 03-23-2012, 9:50 AM   #1
madfish

madfish's System Info

cool Opions on this notebook

I did a copy/paste.

I only have the Dell Sue got me back in 2008 for Christmas, it's set up with ACDsee 3 pro, CS4 Extended and Lightroom 2 (god I spent way to much on software back then) it is only used as a digital darkroom. works dam good as it too.
I like a all around use notebook and I aways wanted a big one hehe
This I can make payments on.
I know I mentioned I wanted a box for gaming, I do have a plan for that also. thats another thread in a bit.

HP Pavilion 17.3" 5GB Dual Core Notebook, Pavilion G7

$699.99

Brand: HP
Housing Color: Grey
Model_#: G71312NR
Screen Type: LED
Resolution: 1600 x 900
Processor Type: AMD Dual-core A4-3305M Accelerated Processor Processor Speed: 2.5GHz with 1MB L2 cache System Memory
RAM: 5GB DDR3 Expandable Memory: Up to 8GB
Hard_Drive_Type: Hard Drive (SATA) Hard Drive Size: 500GB 5400RPM hard drive
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6480G Discrete-Class Graphics
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD burner
Media Card Reader: SD/MMC
Built in Web Cam: Yes
Modem: No
Network: 802.11b/g/n WLAN; 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN
Wireless Network: Yes
Expansion_Slots: 2
USB Ports: 3
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system

Special Features: 17.3" LED screen, dual-core processor, 5GB DDR3 memory, 500GB hard drive, SuperMulti DVD burner, HDMI, 3 USB, many software packages, 24/7 HP technical assistance.

Software includes HP Security and Support, Microsoft Office 2010 (requires purchase of a product key to activate full Office 2010 Suite), Windows Live Essentials 2011, Adobe Reader, Adobe Flash Player, Windows Media Player, Windows DVD Maker, HP MovieStore, Zya Music Maker, RaRa Music, HP Games, Internet Explorer, Skype, Blio eReader application, Cyberlink YouCam DE, Norton Internet Security 2012 (60-day free trial) and more.

HDMI Output: 1
VGA Port: 1
Headphone and Microphone Jacks: 1
Audio: SRS Premium Sound
Touchpad: Yes
Speakers: Altec Lansing stereo speakers built-in
Product Length in Inches: 16.25"
Product Depth in Inches: 10.5" Product Height in Inches: 1.5" (when closed)
Manufacturer Warranty Parts: 1-Year Limited
Manufacturer Warranty Labor: 1-Year Limited
Included in the Box: 6-cell lithium-ion battery, AC adapter, user's guide.

Edit: I forgot the site said up to 6 hours of battery goodness, LOL I know that depends on a lot of things.

And they don't like you...

"The monsters make me hide/perhaps I'll eat myself alive"
Chiasm, Isolated.
madfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 4:02 PM   #2
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

Performance wise, it'll blow the doors off your Pentium 4 gaming PC, even the on CPU Graphics (GPU is a Radeon 6480G built into the CPU, as with most AMD Fusion Based Llanos CPU's)

Performance wise, it won't be leaps and bounds better, but should be noticeable enough that it would be worth while, though bare in mind the Radeon 6400's are still utter low end graphics for gaming.

for basic use, even though its a 1.9GHz Dual core, it should still be quite good.

5GB DDR3 memory... that is an ODD number to have, unless it maybe has 1GB soldered onto the board with 4GB expanded on it.

Overall its not bad. personally I'd consider one of the faster Dual core models, or the 2.1GHz Quad core A6/A8's with a better GPU on it (Radeon 6500 series), but for the price, its a decent laptop.

and with a 17" LED backlit LCD display and beyond 720p, just under 1080p display, its not bad.

I don't think your STALKER games will run that well on it, but they should run on it. FS9/FSX should run ok on it, some of the older games should run pretty well also.

But for all around use, it should more than suffice.
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 4:41 PM   #3
goatieau

goatieau's System Info

Looks like a decent laptop at a decent price Mad - one thing I will say is when you get it - remove all the bundled HP software on it. I recently bought a refurb HP probook 17" for a friend and found 110 process after startup!! I'm still cutting the crap on that laptop. I don't get a lot of time with it though. Seems HP like to bog down decent machines IMHO.
Old 03-23-2012, 7:07 PM   #4
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

I know there will be 2 things he'll be looking at getting rid of, Acrobat reader and Flash player LOL, but I agree, most of that HP stuff, and quite a few of those extra music and what not programs aren't needed.

Ditch the MS Office as its just a trial version and will nag you every time after the trial ends.

Norton I'd look at ditching too, since its only a 60 day trial.
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 03-23-2012, 7:56 PM   #5
madfish

madfish's System Info

LOL ya bet ya sweet knickers! all adobe crap will be the first to meet it's death via revo uninstaller.
the only thing I would keep is the cd/dvd burning software. I would even will disable the stupid web cam.

BTW Sean, it's a 2.5GHz dual, not a 1.9Ghz. and I thought I needed stronger glasses.
When the Dell got the 500gig Hdd WD/black. I never reinstalled the dell crap just XP and the requiered SP's and stuff.

Anyhow, I'm not worried if it will run the stalkers. I have a fable the lost chapters and fear 1 that only need 64mb vid goodness. and a couple others on steam that don't need much video power.

So should I order this? payments are $50.00 a month.

Chiasm, Isolated.
Old 03-23-2012, 9:44 PM   #6
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

Its 1.9GHz Dual core, 2.5GHZ in Turbo Mode (single core).

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AM...0A4-3305M.html
Old 03-23-2012, 9:46 PM   #7
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

the desktop A4-3300 is 2.5Ghz normal clock speed.
Old 03-24-2012, 9:11 AM   #8
madfish

madfish's System Info

Hmm, not to happy about the decepted spec discription they gave. even in the all about this discription it said it was a 2.5GHz. they should had explaned what "Accelerated Processor Processor Speed" ment, I just thought that was another way of one of AMD's fancy way of saying it's fast, just as confusing as like Intel's I series. I wish they would not have such confusing cpu classes. just leave it at it's a 1.9GHZ with an boost to 2.5 when needed. all the dam termalogitly crap is confusing as hell.

Edit: I still really rather have Intel Iron, Pentium class under the hood anyhow.
The offer was from a ocmpany I have done busniess with before in the past. I will PM ya about it. maybe ya can take a look see at the other s they offer.
LOL having a 17 incher is what caught my eye. Like I mentioned, I always wanted a "big one"

Chiasm, Isolated.

Last edited by madfish; 03-24-2012 at 9:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 1:37 AM   #9
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

Yeah, That company, I have dealt with them in the past, as has my parents, and we won't deal with them again, unless its paid in full right away.

Add to the fact they 90% of their name brand stuff is overpriced, and then add to that 90% of their Generic crap is overpriced as well.

occasionally something will be priced closed to MSRP, but more often than not, their over priced.

Add to all that, they supposedly went bankrupt and out of business several years back, or that is what it was reported as, since they were based out of MN here.

But after a few years, out of no where we got one of their catalogs and I guess they are back in business.... Honestly don't know how, since they went bankrupt and their stuff is STILL over priced now... how their able to compete with the big box stores, and online retailer sites is beyond me... Though I wouldn't be surprised if they go under again down the road.
Old 03-25-2012, 8:45 AM   #10
madfish

madfish's System Info

Ok Dokie, it was just a thought.
the recycler has some for sale along with this this small outfit uptown called computersforchange.com. The receyclers outfits units look pretty beat up. like they were dragged behind a tractor across a rocky field. and at the others place there are not far behind in looks too. too much money for the age and looks at both places IMO.
thanks

Chiasm, Isolated.
Old 03-25-2012, 9:19 PM   #11
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

The AMD lappy from Fingerhut wouldn't be so bad, but with the credit limit they offered to you, and with a reduced income you have, you'd be paying it off for the next decade.

I made the mistake of buying a Dual 10" Bandpass Subwoofer enclosure and 250W Amp from them when I was 19, and it took me forever to pay it off. I paid the minimum amount. but could almost never seem to get ahead on the damn thing (make matters worse, is I couldn't fit the enclosure in my Camaro at the time, unless I folded the back seats down. Didn't realize how big it was going to be)

my dad stupidly bought our "New" family Computer from them years before that, thinking he was getting a good deal (failed to bother even asking me on it), and paid nearly $700+ (after interest and all that was paid for) for an out of date 286 Clone, that couldn't even run Windows 3.1 due to the small hard drive, and what not on it. 486 DX4's AMD 586's and 1st Gen Intel Pentium's were already out for a year or so when we got it.
Old 03-26-2012, 9:52 AM   #12
madfish

madfish's System Info

Camaro? hopfully it was vinatge '68

My kid will give me his dell studio with vista running a AMD 2. somehting GHz. 4 gig ram, forget the hdd size. runs like a dead cow, even when it was brand new, of course he wouldn't let me tweak it for him or stip out the dam crap. thats probley why it SUCKS! I posted about it here after he got it a couple years a go. firefox takes almost two minutes to open on it, and IE was not much better.
Anyhow. he will let me have it now because he broke one of the hinges. That propley couldn't be fixed or worth the cost if it could be fixed. I like the Hdd tho, I put it in a usb encloser.

Chiasm, Isolated.
Old 03-26-2012, 1:03 PM   #13
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

68? whats wrong with 67?

No, it was "vintage" crap post fuel crisis 84 (V6 Automatic, puny 107HP, Speedometer topped out at 85MPH), but was a good car at the time, 10 years old, and lasted 4 or 5 years till I finally killed the motor.
Old 03-28-2012, 9:57 AM   #14
madfish

madfish's System Info

nothing, '68 sounded better then '67

LOL I had a '69 bug that would get 60 going down hill, my room mate at the time asked me one night how in hell I manged to get it up to 55. ( he was following me home from a party) as he used to own it and it rarely saw 50 at full throttle. heh I told him I had three cans of heet dry gas in the tank and I changed the plugs a coulpe days before. dam thing was always fouling the plugs.

Edit: grammer. lol typed the same words twice in a row

Chiasm, Isolated.

Last edited by madfish; 03-28-2012 at 10:09 AM.