Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums  

Go Back   Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums > Other Stuff > Xtreme Distributed Computing

Xtreme Distributed Computing Join the team for some number crunching!

Old 01-30-2012, 7:05 PM   #1
SoopaStar

learn me something new - cuda crunching

I've got a couple boxes with Geforce gpu's (only 8800s and 210) but I'd like to run cuda rc5-72 on them. I know nothing about Cuda. Help a brother out!

Paul
Old 01-30-2012, 7:21 PM   #2
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

Get ahold of CarlD, he was messing with that just today/yesterday, made a posting comparing running his Radeon 4850 vs Geforce GTX 285 with the GPU client for RC5/OGR. Carl has a thread he started today around here somewhere with them in it.

I downloaded the clients, but couldn't figure out how to get them running.

have only managed to mess with the 32-bit and 64-bit CPU clients.
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 7:53 PM   #3
SoopaStar

I'll take a look at his post. There has to be some kind of FAQ somewhere.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

hey soopa, long time no see.

There are 2 windows clients you can use, that depends on what drivers you have for the nvidia cards you are using.

both are on http://www.distributed.net/Download_clients

[x86/CUDA-3.1] which should be used if the drivers you have for your card use the 3.1 CUDA driver or newer (4.1 comes with the latest nvidia 285 drivers).

[x86/CUDA-2.2] which I use. I have the 197.01 drivers installed and they have the CUDA 2.3 driver.

I'm thinking the oldest drivers you can use with the older dnet 2.2 client are 175?

That's on windows though.

As for getting it to run just put it anywhere.. like C:\rc5cuda2.2 after its extracted.

Its easier to just go into notepad and type following parameters:

[parameters]
id=youremail@whatever.com

[triggers]
restart-on-config-file-change=yes
pause-on-no-mains-power=no

[display]
progress-indicator=auto-sense

then save it, as all files, as dnetc.ini

the triggers and display, I just always had.. I'm not sure if they are important to have in there or not.

Compared to the OGR settings, the only difference is that:

[misc]
project-priority=OGR-NG,RC5-72=0

misc is added to the list to keep the dnetc on OGR only

screen shot of all the files needed in the folder:

the 2 highlighted are the in and out buffers of the WU's

Last edited by Carl D; 01-31-2012 at 1:57 AM. Reason: grr errors
Carl D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

odd, I have an older Driver, 266.xx something, haven't updated in a while, but it does have CUDA 3.2.1 installed, and won't run Dnet even with the config file as you listed it (my email in the id part of course). Says cudart32_31_9.dll is missing?
"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 01-31-2012, 1:06 AM   #6
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

The only place I found a similar file was in the Folding@home gpu folder

I'll see if it works on the GT 440, since that has the newest 4.1 CUDA
Old 01-31-2012, 1:17 AM   #7
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

ok it works on the GT 440 with the 285.62 drivers

and this is where the file should be (it should be in the 3.1 client download)

the GT 440 does.. 56,000,000 keys/sec.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

meh, I'll just download the latest drivers and install them, see if that fixes it, I was just too lazy last night to bother with it.
Old 02-01-2012, 1:18 AM   #9
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

completely wiped the old drivers clean (except left prior game profiles intact), to latest Nvidia drivers and still the same error.

though I did have a frame rate boost in one game I tried. Whether the game gets a better frame rate in online play remains to be seen though.
Old 02-01-2012, 3:07 AM   #10
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

what about if you delete the client folder and just download it again so it has the cudart32_31_9.dll

If your AV or download manager is blocking it that can be an issue. I remember norton used to block the screen saver, saying it was a trojan.

otherwise the client download should have everything in the one screenshot above - the dnetc.ini
Old 02-01-2012, 1:17 PM   #11
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

GTX 400 Fermi's is where its at boys

Check out this peak output only 18 seconds into running it on the Stock GTX 470.

Temps are about 90-92C.

Old 02-01-2012, 1:20 PM   #12
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

doing anywhere from 500M to 800M on average, peaking at over 900M, a second after I took that screenie it peaked at 945 Million and back down to the 918 again.

Its showing the average currently at 558 Million.

Is suspect the GTX 560 Ti would do at least as good if not slightly better and break the 1 Billion peak output easily.
Old 02-01-2012, 1:24 PM   #13
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

Hmmm, wonder if this is running both GPU's at once? I see my GTX 285 that I thought was idle is sitting at 80-85C as well, even if the 470 was running at load, the 285 should be running that hot idle.

never has when I've run F@H solely on the 470.

HOLY SNOT... It is running the other GPU, EVGA Precision (just updated that last night as well), is showing both GPU's at 98% usage currently.

Also didn't realize the Client is showing 2 of 2 Crunchers indicating both cards.
Old 02-01-2012, 3:31 PM   #14
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

hmm

anyway.

I see you got it working.

I'm wondering what a 7950 or 7970 would output.

the GTX 285, outputs about the same as the hd 4850. In that screen shot in the other thread, I'm running the gpu client and the cpu client. The gpu client still needs plenty of cpu to run.

Folding@home on the gpu didn't seem to take too much off the dnet cpu client. Just that now it's getting hot in this room. Freaking weather. 75C coming out of the back of the computer and filling the room is not good at the moment.

Last edited by Carl D; 02-01-2012 at 3:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 6:40 PM   #15
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

Yeah, got it working, for some reason the same download I had the other day didn't have that dll file, when I downloaded it again, it was there.

as to the 7950 and 7970, I would imagine they would easily break the 1 Billion mark, probably average around 750M at least, those cards, at least the 7970 are a bit better than the GTX 580 as far as Gaming goes, but if anything should be at least as good as the GTX 580 would be in this stuff.

75C out the back? want my GTX 470, 90+ C, LOL... just kidding, no but temps here are starting to warm up, we had nearly 50F today, but plenty of fog most of the day.

crappy winter this year, little snow, and the deep freeze only lasts a couple/few days before we end up with near late spring temps again, then snow again, and spring temps again.
Old 02-02-2012, 8:08 AM   #16
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

I think I may just get up to a million in the stats then stop. 1 million in RC5-72 seems timely compared to OGR. If only OGR used cuda or stream... and just finish.
Old 02-09-2012, 9:17 PM   #17
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

580 only gets this on average

Old 02-10-2012, 1:27 AM   #18
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

That's probably about right, as mine was crunching on both the 470 and the 285 getting that near Billion keys/sec rating.

I'd guess the 470 was probably doing 500+ Mil on its own, and the 285 the remainder. Though I'd think the 580 would be a bit higher. but its close to 700 mil, so thats a good chunk more.

Have you seen some of the supposed "Leaked" Specs of the GTX 600 series?

The latest leak, though many sites claiming it was Fake, sites like GPUReview.com have actually incorporated these leaked specs into their database, which would make me think their pretty close to legit.

But its got me thinking twice about going with Dual GTX 560 Ti's now LOL, instead, may just get by on the one, until the 600 replacement for it comes out, but looking at those specs, it could easily be pushing GTX 570 performance range.

2 of those in SLI for gaming and DC work would be pretty nice I would think LOL.

GTX 650 Ti.

Hell I'd even consider the GTX 660... Given its estimated price range, and supposedly may be comparable to the GTX 580, if this leak is even accurate at all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Nvi...l#xtor=RSS-998

only thing to remain to be seen is actual benchmarks, and power/heat ratings.
Old 02-10-2012, 7:29 AM   #19
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

I didn't read much about the k's other than seeing hype, and some BS from some guy that usually swears ATI/AMD.

EVGA has the exchange for better thing still, so if anything comes out worth while I'll try the idea.
Old 02-24-2012, 2:30 AM   #20
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

both the stream client (hd 4850) with the i7 920. This is after setting affinity to 7 cores on the OGR client, and 1 core for the RC5-72 client.

Old 03-06-2012, 8:46 AM   #21
Carl D

Carl D's System Info

After 11 straight days of running

Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Shyguy

Shyguy's System Info

some nice numbers there, only wish we had this client back years ago when many of us were still running this, would of made a HUGE difference in team scores.