Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums  

Go Back   Xtreme PC Central Tech Forums > Technical Topics > General Technical Support & Discussion

General Technical Support & Discussion Buyers advice. General tech support, discussion & troubleshooting here.

Old 01-02-2012, 8:58 AM   #1
zip-6

windows NT Clone help!!

Here is my issue. A piece of equipment at my company has windows NT 4.0 workstation installed on the drive and all software runs through it. The machine came from Spain so the copy of windows is in Spanish with no English language pack installed. The drive is old and fear of corruption or failure is a constant. The problem is that the settings and programs fro the machine are saved in files on this drive and it would be months before we can get someone from Spain to help us.
I want to clone the NT drive and create an exact copy (working) drive. I want to do this so I don't loose any of the software used to run the machine and so I don't loose the very expensive license for the software since we dont have a copy other than the one within the registry. If I can clone the drive and create a copy that will work then I can test various upgrades and see which ones will continue to run our equipment.
Basically I want to clone Windows NT but I have been unable to do this with any success. Does any one have any ideas? And remember it is in Spanish so navigating through the settings requires time on my end. thx
Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Foggy

The last time I cloned an NT drive I used Acronis, but I don't know about Spanish.

Try This http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177561
Old 01-02-2012, 7:34 PM   #3
zip-6

Thx for the reply. I am downloading the trial of acronis now, but I want to see if it will work before buying the license. I tried switching the language to English but the copy of windows NT was installed without the English Language packs so it doesnt have it available to change it too. If Acronis works then I am going to clone several drives and try upgrading to various OS platforms but have to find one that will still allow the machine to function properly. I'm sure windows 2k will work or maybe even XP and then I will have them in English but the most important thing is I'll have backups from now on.
Old 01-03-2012, 3:24 AM   #4
goatieau

goatieau's System Info

Hi Zip - have you thought of slaving the HDD to another machine and cloning it to a new drive (also slaved). USB adapters are very good for this and it will only need the language of the host PC not the Spanish that is slaved.

I would try a boot utility called Easus Disk Copy. Try the free version and then buy the full version if you like.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
zip-6

the advice you guys gave made me remember a tool I have that has both of those programs on it. Ultimate Boot Disk! I was able to use it and make a bootable clone. I then tried to upgrade the clone to Windows 2000 or XP and was given an error that an upgrade is not possible because the language is different. I know Windows NT was installed in Spain so I guess unless I get an OS from the same region I am stuck. Thx for the help and if any of you have a spanish copy anything laying around..lol I'm in the market..
Old 01-04-2012, 2:10 PM   #6
Bob.C
Xtreme Admin

Bob.C's System Info

Have you tried changing the regional settings in NT 4.0? Theoretically, changing the user locale should influence the install language?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688174

Bob