PDA

View Full Version : How to access my LAN computers behind Router?

zappy
12-01-2003, 9:33 PM
Hi, my small office has a LAN and we are using SMC Barricade Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem to connect to Internet.

One of our Computer is a PC-Based CCTV surveillance system. This system runs its own Server & Client software. This computer in our LAN has a fixed IP 192.168.1.87 and the CCTV software uses port 8000.

How can we access this systen via Internet?. I have tried to set up this computer as Virtual Server as follows,

Public Port 8000
Private Port 8000
Port Type TCP
Host IP 192.168.1.71

Using the IP address as assigned by our ISP and enter it into the client software, i can not access the program.

We desperately need to access the system via Internet. We shall be grateful for any advise.

Thanks
jayson

mickwish
12-01-2003, 9:40 PM
Welcome to XPC, zappy!! :D

Not sure I can help too much, as I dunno much about hardware router seetings, but you possibly need to allow the router to let the port through (aka port forwarding). It's likely the router has a built in firewall which will block everything except specific ports (like port 80 for html). The router should have a set up page which allows port forwarding. Simply forward port 8000 to the PC, and it should work (using the internet IP as host IP).

Hope this helps.

davidw
12-01-2003, 9:47 PM
Welcome to XPC.
In my opinion, as I do not know much, but unless you have:
1) you have a static IP, as this IP is set up internally via router or self, or
2) third party software, not sure if PCAnywhere will work or not,
it will not work.

mickwish
12-01-2003, 9:53 PM
Dunno if you need remote software, CC. That's just for controlling the OS. If this software has port access, it should be able to be accessed just like FTP, HTTP or VNC.

Interesting question, though. Can you access the software from another PC on the LAN using the internal IP as host IP? Should be able to. If you can't, something is not set up right.

And how does it access? Through a browser, or is there specific client software loaded on the client machine? Just nosy, actually. Does the software have a name? Might help to know exact details.

CC is correct about the internet IP, though. If you have a dynamic IP you may need to use a service like DynDNS which allows you to resolve to a fixed IP. But as it's a business, I was assuming fixed IP.

edit: I think CC was talking about internal IP being static, if I think about it. :rolleyes: And he is correct there too. Each PC is allocated an internal IP either by the router or by a DCHP server on the LAN, possibly. You would need to forward the port to the correct internal IP, so may need to make it static. A bit beyond me to explain how to do that, sio if you need help with that, holler for the gurus!! :p

zappy
12-01-2003, 10:38 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for the prompt replies.

I can access the system from any computer in our LAN using the client software. It accesses by input the IP adds (192.168.1.71) and port 8000 in the Client's program.

As for Port Forwarding, the SMC Barricade Ethernet/USB ADSL Modem does not have such setup. The only thing that comes close to it is the Virtual Server setup whcih allows you to set the Port No. I really think this setup should do the job.

As for the Internet IP address, i am using dyndns.org to resolve it. No problem there.

Perhaps you guys can recommend another router for me that can solve my problem?.

mickwish
12-01-2003, 10:58 PM
Not my forte, I'm afraid. I've always used a dedicated PC with IPCop as a router. Always a possiblity if you have an old unused PC lying about.... ;)

All I know is Linksys and Netgear seem to have a reasonable following. Just look for a model that has the features you need, including port forwarding. Oh, and ensure it will forward ports above 5000 - some routers are limited to what ports they will forward.

Happy shopping! :D

mickwish
12-01-2003, 11:19 PM
Just had another thought before you rush off and buy another router. Maybe an easier solution. :rolleyes:

Check the router info to see what posts it allows through. You may find it will block posts only above a certain number. Of course, if the documentation says it only allows port 80, you are sunk. :eek:

If your server/client app allows you to SET the port, and there are some ports the router will pass through, you could be in luck! :D

Check out the documentation. It might let you substitute port 8000 for something else. If it does, all you need to do is find an unused port the router will let through. :cool:

Shoulda thought of that before, sorry. :rolleyes:

zappy
12-02-2003, 1:06 AM
Sorry guys. My silly mistake. It works just fine by using the Virtual Server setting.

I have been testing the connection using one of the LAN computer which shared the Internet connection and it does not work. When i disconnect my computer from the LAN, and used a separate dial-up internet connection it works just fine.

Thank you for all your helps.

cheers
jayson

mickwish
12-02-2003, 3:55 AM
Actually, despite having the word "router" in the title, I did wonder about how the net connection was shared. Is the modem actually just a modem and not a router?

Anyway, no harm done. Exercising the brain never does any harm! :D

Glad ya fixed it. :cool: