PDA

View Full Version : My Vaio's Lcd is Blank

sierranic
10-28-2003, 5:17 PM
I have a problem with my fx-120 sony vaio notebook. When I turn on my computer the screen flashes from black to a highlighted black. While it is running I see nothing except for the backlight. I hooked the computer up to a desktop monitor and it works fine. Does anyone have any suggestions to what happened to my monitor, or maybe what solution there is to fixing it?

I'm hoping there is some easy solution, or cheap part that I can purchase to fix it myself.

Please help!!
Thanks

Auvaio
11-21-2003, 9:48 AM
I have exactly the same problem whit my F-290.
any ideas about this issue?

Mntsnow
11-21-2003, 10:01 AM
Not familar with your models but have you double checked to make sure that output to the LCD has not been disabled? Many laptops will turn off the LCD screen if the Monitor output/Projector output is active. Usually it's one of the Function keys that controls that

Auvaio
11-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Hello,
thank you for replaying that fast.
but i already checked the ribbon cable, aswell as plugs in display and on mainboard. no change. output changing button only causes a beep.
also flashing bios did not solve the problem.
are there any known hardware isues, that causes the described problems?
thanx in advance.

Bob.C
11-21-2003, 10:45 AM
There should be a function key called 'Backlit', if this is toggled off the display will disappear to virtually invisible!

I can't check my Vaio till tomorrow, but on my Samsung it is Fn + F4 !

:)

Bob

Auvaio
11-21-2003, 11:14 AM
the lcd is not really turned off.
it stays black untill the moment, the SONY startup logo should appear, but instead the whole screen turnes into a somehow highlightened black with very intensive backlight. have already tried to toggle to LCD or Backlight with FN+ F-key, but whithout succsess.
but thank you Bob.
a foulty display inverter perhaps?

Mntsnow
11-21-2003, 12:33 PM
That is a possibility :(

sierranic
11-21-2003, 11:12 PM
I have also checked all cable and wires, there is nothing loose! The function key doesn't do anything as well. I have basically taken my entire laptop apart to make sure I wasn't missing anything and still have no clue as to what it could be. My laptop also has the very intense backlight but no screen, it works fine hooked up to an external monitor!!

I also wrote to sony and did all their troubleshooting solutions, still no luck! They stated it may be some type of hardware problem and would need to take it in, but I'd rather save a few bucks if possible! (College Student) :(

Any ideas?

Auvaio
11-22-2003, 4:33 AM
have found this on a laptop repair service page:
"We repair blank or dim or High brightess with no data LCDs (known as the backlight problem)."
does anyone know about this mysterious "backlight problem" or about its cause?
thanx,
Dennis.

Auvaio
02-28-2004, 1:55 AM
finally found a solution:
there is a smd fuse on the lcd pcb which had to be replaced.
after that the lcd worked fine again.
maybe that solves sierranic's problem as well.
good luck,
Dennis.

sierranic
02-28-2004, 1:05 PM
Was this part easy to replace? Where exactally is it located? I want to see if it works for mine as well, it seems that we had the same problem!

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Auvaio
02-28-2004, 9:44 PM
sierranic,
the fuse is located on the lcd's circut-board, near the connector.
it is a little smd part (in my case white) marked as F1. you can take a multimeter and check it.
i did not replace it but simply bridged it for testing purpose.
if you need photos please let me know.
good luck,
Dennis.

sierranic
02-28-2004, 11:42 PM
Dennis,
If you have pictures I would love them. Do you have any idea what the part number is, or where to obtain one? I really hope this is what the problem is.
Thanks,
Denise

Auvaio
03-03-2004, 1:05 AM
Denise,
the fuse that has to be replaced is a common 1.5A smd part with a case factor 0603 i think. but these things are very small. i don't know about your soldering skills but some experience in handling smd parts is necessery.
i hope the picture is helpful to find the fuse and check if it is burned.
good luck,
Dennis.

spellbmx
05-08-2004, 3:27 PM
anyone else got lucky with the fuse thing?

viaodan
05-12-2004, 12:24 PM
Here's all the information you need to replace this item:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?PName?Name=P11355CT-ND&Site=US

I ordered two extra fuses. Contact me if you would like to buy one.

Mntsnow
05-12-2004, 1:20 PM
Viaodan,

Check with you local TV/VCR repair places :)

trev.h
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
I have a similar problem and have located my fuse. I have a multimeter. How can I test the fuse?

A resistance test proves positive because of the rest of the circuit.

Do I need a positive voltage test each side of the fuse with the negative to a common/ground? If so where is the common/ground?

Auvaio
10-15-2004, 1:42 PM
you don't need voltage to check the fuse. if it has 0 Ohm it is OK, although it is in circuit.
but: if your laptop is not a vaio, it is possible that there is a 2nd fuse located near the mainboard connector, that would cause the same problem.

fshanda
10-16-2004, 9:30 AM
I also have this problem and cant figure out which fuze to look for. I dont have a separate video card. The video cable plugs into the mainboard and if what I think are these fuses there are about 20 all within 1-2 inches of the connector. Do these fuses have to be soldered into place, looks like thats how they are connected to the mainboard. I have a VAIO PCG-FX120

Auvaio
10-17-2004, 1:50 AM
i think that there are no fuses on the fx-series mainboards.
i would try to locate the fuse that is on the lcd pcb.
good luck.

fshanda
10-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Is there a PCB on the back of the LCD screen?
My vid cable runs from the mainboard to the inverter and right to the bulb. At least thats what it looks like to me.

Auvaio
10-21-2004, 12:10 AM
there is a connector on the upper backside of the LCD.
you can dissambe the screen, locate some screws that holds the pcb. once loosen these screws, you can carefully flip the lcd board and locate the fuse, mostly near the connector.

fshanda
10-21-2004, 3:06 AM
I'll have a look see. Thanks for the tip.

Copycat
08-27-2005, 7:53 PM
Hello. I'm having the same problem on an ASUS L2000 laptop, happened after I changed the resolution from 640x480 to 1024x768 (always used this) under safe mode with VGA.

Is the resistor solution also a possible solution for me? I'd like to know before I dissasemble my screen.

Thank you very much in advanced.

charmer
05-30-2006, 6:24 PM
Hi Guys,

I have the same problem with my PCG-K315B sony vaio laptop. my backlight goes off at windows startup screen and when i plug in my external LCD i can see everything is working fine.

Please adivse me b4 i buy a new INVERTER $$$

i have done BIOS UPDATE
saw articles about ACPI power management and disabled every power issues
saw one forum with more than 200 ppl having the same backlight problem (sony vaio)

NO GOOD RESULTS

able to run MS-DOS with BACKLIGHT ON :)

Any idea wots wrong with my Laptop?

Please help me

Eq
05-30-2006, 7:31 PM
fixt.

arjans
09-13-2006, 2:33 AM
I have a problem with my fx-120 sony vaio notebook. When I turn on my computer the screen flashes from black to a highlighted black. While it is running I see nothing except for the backlight. I hooked the computer up to a desktop monitor and it works fine. Does anyone have any suggestions to what happened to my monitor, or maybe what solution there is to fixing it?

I'm hoping there is some easy solution, or cheap part that I can purchase to fix it myself.

Please help!!
Thanks
Hi!
I have the same problem with "sierranic"
When I turn on the laptop is works well except the lcd which remain with a highlighted black.My model is FS-660/w!
Any suggestion please???

Bob.C
09-13-2006, 3:59 AM
Welcome to XPC, arjans! :)

Have you tried an external monitor to see what that gives?

arjans
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Thx m8!
Yes right now I'm working with an external monitor.
As I said I have the same problem as sierranic
The laptop works fine with the external monitor from the vga port!
I'm in waranty right now but it is for USA,but I live in Greece right now so I could not do nothing except to pay."I'm a student so to much for me" to fix it at a servis!:tup3:

Bob.C
09-13-2006, 1:48 PM
If it's still in warranty, I would use that option!

It may seem costly, but other options could not only be costlier but invalidate your existing warranty as well!

ThRoNkA
09-13-2006, 2:06 PM
Make sure you push the fn keys and the monitor key. you might of messed it up on that.

arjans
09-14-2006, 2:51 AM
No,is not this the problem!:nono:

ThRoNkA
09-14-2006, 7:22 AM
No,is not this the problem!:nono:

I am not cussing at you.

FN stand for function key. My sony vaio has one as well. This key makes it so you can switch between external and internal monitor, or both as the same time - when used in a combinate for a F2, F3 or whatever key. The key will looking like a monitor or say EXT/VGA.

Considering the fact of warranty, I would have the service center look at it. I talked to the Loradeo, TX sever center and they said you can get it done anywhere because the warranty is valid in all countries - sony is world wide.

brusby
09-16-2006, 8:11 PM
I'm having a slightly different problem. The monitor on my Vaio PCG-K13 laptop comes on fine, then flickers, then goes blank. If I almost completely close the lid it usually comes back on. Then I can carefully open the lid more and more until it is at the correct viewing angle. Sometimes it goes blank again and I have to repeat the process till it works.

Anybody having similar problems? I was suspecting a intermittent connector in the swivel opening mechanism.

arjans
09-18-2006, 12:38 PM
I am not cussing at you.

FN stand for function key. My sony vaio has one as well. This key makes it so you can switch between external and internal monitor, or both as the same time - when used in a combinate for a F2, F3 or whatever key. The key will looking like a monitor or say EXT/VGA.

Considering the fact of warranty, I would have the service center look at it. I talked to the Loradeo, TX sever center and they said you can get it done anywhere because the warranty is valid in all countries - sony is world wide.

Ok thx for the reply!
I talk to them by phone and they said me that the waranty is valid worldwide if I had a yellow attachment on the back side of the laptop.But I didn't find it!
So I'm afraid I will post it to USA.
Thx again!:)

BobWya
08-06-2008, 4:41 AM
Hi all,

OK its to time to preform a thread resurrection (2 years - that's impressive)!! :stadium:

Anyway I am trying to sort out a problem with a Sony Vaio laptop (model: VGN-A317M). The laptop recently stopped working. I have isolated the problem down to the backlight. The laptop works fine with an external monitor. I have checked the function key for switching displays and the laptop is set to dual-display mode.

The screen will come on briefly (~2 seconds) at boot and also if I unplug and plug in the internal DVI cable for the built-in TFT. However I can still see the screen images on LCD (despite it being black). So obviously the florescent backlight is not powering up correctly... :mecry:

I have some images of the display-board PCB for controlling the TFT (mounted on the back of the TFT LCD panel):
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6310/TFTPCBleft.th.jpg (http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=TFTPCBleft.jpg)
(left section of PCB)

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/7822/TFTPCBmiddle.th.jpg (http://img183.imageshack.us/my.php?image=TFTPCBmiddle.jpg)
(middle section of PCB)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7884/TFTPCBright.th.jpg (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=TFTPCBright.jpg)
(right section of PCB)

I found 2 potential SMD fuses on the PCB. These are highlighted in red on the middle section PCB photograph.
The components are labelled F101 (smaller) and FL1 (larger). Both have near 0 ohms resistance. So if they are fuses they are still working!!
(Since most components are labeled Dxxx, Cxxx, Rxxx I presume these are diodes, capacitors and resistors respectively.)

So should I try getting a replacement (florescent tube backlight) Inverter board?? Any thoughts where I could locate this in the UK / Europe?? I am based in Cambridge.

I can post pictures of the Inverter board if this would help!!

Thanks for your help!!

Bob

smash046
10-08-2008, 12:03 AM
The same problem with sierranic?!?!

smash046
10-08-2008, 11:35 AM
in general displays of the Sony devices have problems with backlight, but they are solved fairly easily by replacing the fuse!

AnythingGoesz
09-07-2009, 8:49 AM
Denise,
the fuse that has to be replaced is a common 1.5A smd part with a case factor 0603 i think. but these things are very small. i don't know about your soldering skills but some experience in handling smd parts is necessery.
i hope the picture is helpful to find the fuse and check if it is burned.
good luck,
Dennis.

I am trying to access the picture to see if it's comparable with my VAIO Inverter board.

But the Forum won't let me, saying I don't have enough privileges to do so.

Can anyone point me to this pic?

Thanx

AG